Pillars of natural skincare
Rose, milk and honey are the three pillars of natural skincare. They are also some of the most popular ingredients in skincare due to their beneficial properties for the skin. Here’s how each of these ingredients can contribute to skincare:
- Rose: Rose has soothing and hydrating properties, making it suitable for all skin types, including sensitive and dry skin. It helps maintain the skin’s pH balance, reduces redness and inflammation, and promotes a youthful complexion. Rose also has antioxidant properties that can help protect the skin from free radicals and environmental damage.
- Milk: Cleopatra was said to have indulged in luxurious milk baths. These baths supposedly included donkey milk, which contains lactic acid and is known for its exfoliating and moisturizing properties. The lactic acid in milk is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA). AHAs help exfoliate the skin by gently removing dead skin cells, revealing a smoother and brighter complexion. Milk also moisturizes the skin, improves skin texture, and can help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Honey: Honey is a natural humectant, which means it helps draw moisture to the skin, keeping it hydrated and soft. It has antibacterial properties that can help fight acne-causing bacteria and reduce inflammation. Honey is also rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the skin from oxidative stress and promote a more youthful appearance.
To incorporate rose milk and honey into your skincare routine, you can try the following:
- Rose milk toner: Mix equal parts of rose water and milk. Apply this mixture to your face using a cotton pad after cleansing. It will help hydrate, balance pH, and soothe the skin.
- Honey mask: Mix honey with a small amount of milk to create a paste. Apply it to your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off. This mask will moisturize, soften, and provide antioxidant benefits to your skin.
- Rose milk bath: Add rose water and milk to your bathwater for a relaxing and nourishing soak. This will help hydrate your skin and leave it feeling refreshed.
Remember to patch test any new skincare products or ingredients on a small area of your skin to check for any adverse reactions or allergies.